Worth repeating, these quick and easy stress fixes were found in an old Glamour magazine (written by Shaun Dreisbach) that I had. I loved them because they were so quick and easy and related to yoga, which I teach. They seem especially appropriate for this time of the year. Here is our combined version of 5 quick fixes:
1. Stress. If you are stressed out, the easiest thing to do is to breathe. Close your eyes and inhale deeply through your nose . Hold for 5 counts and exhale through your nose for 10 counts. Repeat for 2 minutes. This has a calming effect and will oxygenate your blood for clear thinking.
2. Tense Shoulders. Stand with your back against the wall, heels together, arms by your side. Slowly roll down, letting your arms dangle. Do some “dangly” circles in both directions with your arms. Slowly roll back up the wall..
3. Low Back Pain. Lie on your back, legs extended, hands by your sides. Pull your right knee to the chest and hold – don’t forget to keep breathing. Then bring the knee across the body in a twist, keep shoulders on the floor. Hold for 30 seconds. Return leg to starting position and repeat for the other side.
4. Tension Headache. Often this comes from neck stress. Sit up straight with right arm at your side, tilt head toward the left shoulder. You can pull your head slightly with the left hand to deepen the stretch. Hold for 30 seconds then repeat on the other side.
5. No Energy. In yoga we call this the bridge pose. It opens the lungs and again helps with circulation. Lie on your back with your knees bent, heels are directly under your knees. Grasp heels or ankles and lift your hips up. Your weight is on your shoulders. Hold and release. Do this several times, and don’t forget to breathe slowly and deeply.
You might want to wait until you get home to do the floor exercises, especially if you work in an office or drive a vehicle for a living. 🙂
Happy “Less – Stress” Holidays to You!