Happy Birthday to all my friends and relatives with birthdays this month. There are quite a few. The older we get, the more complaining I seem to hear. I have a dear friend who gave me a book: 50 Things to Do When You Turn 50 and there where 10 good things about getting older that I will share. (These are written by Patricia Ferrell, Ph.D.)
Maybe this will help:
10. You no longer have to worry about what your parents will say if you don’t come home on time. (You don’t even have to go home if you don’t want to.)
9. You can read whatever you want, whenever you want.
8. Your financial life and financial future are in your hands. It’s up to you now what you spend your money on.
7. You can eat anything you want for breakfast, be it birthday cake, cold pizza or Chinese food.
6. You don’t have to worry about keeping up with what’s current in music, and you can dance the way you want to.
5. You no longer have to put on makeup or hold your stomach in before you put the garbage out.
4. You can declare Sunday to be an absolute day of rest without guilt.
3. You no longer have to consider golf as a competitive sport. By now, the game should just be fun.
2. You no longer need to adhere to some unrealistic idea of thinness.
1. You no longer have to answer the question we all hate: What are you going to be when you grow up?
I really enjoyed these and find them to be for the most part true. At our age (whatever it may be) we hopefully now take time to have some fun now and then. Hey, we’re lucky to have made it this far. Most of us don’t like getting older, but we sure wouldn’t trade the wisdom we have gained from living this “long” life. Keep loving, learning and living!