I am getting ready for my yoga class tonight. I want to talk to my students about using and focusing on the breath as a tool for good mental and physical health. Meditation is often enhanced by focusing on the breath and deep breathing can revitalize the body. I found some neat facts about the lungs that I think are worth sharing.
Breathing is natural and automatic, most of us don’t even think about it. Here are some strange but true facts about lungs:
1. If you roll out a lung, flat, it would be the size of a tennis court.
2. Most people are breathing through just one nostril right now (you’re checking, aren’t you?)
3. The nostrils “smell” differently and smells from the right nostril are more pleasant.
4. The right lung holds more air than the left.
5. It is almost impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. (A defense mechanism, are you trying this one too?)
6. A sneeze can be as fast as 100 mph.
7. A flu shot only works about 70% of the time.
8. A cigarette cuts 5 minutes off your life, about the time it takes to smoke one.
9. The average person inhales 44 pounds of dust in a lifetime.
10. Deep breathing practice gives benefits similar to performing aerobics.
Many people breath dysfunctionally or inefficiently. Shallow breathing, holding the breath, mouth breathing, over-breathing and more can result in many different health issues. Improving breathing patterns can increase oxygen to the tissues, lower stress levels and help you relax and focus better. Try some deep breaths where you exhale as deeply as you inhale. It’s good for you!
I’m off to class.